The Westgarth School story: 1924-2013
Westgarth Primary School was founded in 1924 as Westgarth Central School, number 4177 in the Victorian system. The school opened shortly before the Great Depression, a time when resources were limited and classrooms were minimally heated, with teachers’ desks occupying the space closest to the fireplace. Wealthier families were often asked to bring an extra lunch for those less fortunate.
Whilst the spirit and sense of community remains the same, we are pleased to say that much has changed since these times! The original red-brick main building was demolished in the 1990s and a series of new buildings were erected in its place.
A contemporary learning space was opened on the Clarke Street campus in 2010. This 21st-Century learning space has afforded the teachers of Westgarth Primary the opportunity to educate the students of Westgarth in an open and collaborative learning environment.
The Brooke Street site was established in the early 1970s. The Brooke Street classrooms were expanded in 2010 to incorporate a contemporary learning wing consisting of three new open-plan learning spaces. This change has allowed us to accommodate increased enrolments. Historically, this site was known as Smith's Paddock prior to its annexure by Westgarth Central, and was used as a playground by local children. It would play host to a large bonfire on Guy Fawkes nights with large numbers of local residents gathering to view the fire and fireworks.
While no longer playing host to bonfires and fireworks, Westgarth Primary School continues to ignite a spark within all those who enter its grounds. This place of learning will inspire the minds of local students for many years to come.
Did you ever wonder why the suburb and the school are named Westgarth. They are named for William Westgarth. Click here to read the history of William Westgarth.